Exploring the Great Sahara desert dunes 7 days /6nights
Atlas and Sahara Tours offer a family trip to Morocco to conquer the desert, the land of Free Men! A breakaway combining 4 × 4 and hiking at the doors of the desert to discover incredible landscapes. From Marrakech, immerse yourself in the great south of Morocco and go to meet the nomadic inhabitants and learn about their ancestral way of life. Throughout this stay, a succession of fascinating landscapes of green valleys, Oasis and magnificent dunes, traditional Berber villages, grandiose mountains and the magical city Marrakech.
Day 1: Marrakech >>> Tazarine 5hrs drive:
Departure in 4 × 4 from Marrakech and crossing the High Atlas by the Tizi n'Tichka pass (2265m). From the slope of Tizi, the view embraces the peaks of the Central High Atlas including Mount Mgoun (4068m). We stop at Ouarzazate for lunch before joining the Draa Valley and the Palm Tazarine.
Overnight at the Camp in Serdrar.
Day 2: Tazarine >>> Tafraout (2h30 walk):
Departure from Serdrar and climb to the peaks of this Reg to see the region of Tazarine and the large plateau of Tarbalte. We join our vehicles to cross the plateau of The Maider traveled by the nomads, came to graze their herds of goats and camels. We discover the steppe of the tufts of Halpha and cross a dry lake. We continue in 4 × 4 to reach the Tafraut, We walk at the end of the day on Crete to reach the camp by a nice descent.
Overnight at the Camp in the foot of the dunes.
Day 3: Tafraout >>> Erg Chebbi, 3h walk:
We leave the bivouac on foot to reach a dry lake, by 4 × 4 we drive west. The different ergs are separated by stony plains and dry lakes, far and away a small village with mud houses, a well, some crops, nomads. Then we reach the southern part of Erg Chebbi.
Overnight at the Camp in the dunes.
Day 4: Erg Chebbi >>> Merzouga Town (5h walk):
Surely the most majestic of the great south of Morocco. The optional, but highly recommended, climb of the dune will be rewarded by a grand sunset and a 360 ° view.
Overnight at the desert Hotel.
Day 5: Merzouga Town >>> Boumalne Dades:
After 60 km of road we reach the valley of Tafilalt, where we will visit the alternate desert plains, gardens, palm groves, villages and fortified Ksars: Arfoud, Tinghir, Todrra Gorge,
Overnight at the Riad in Boumalen Dades.
Day 6: Boumalne Dades >>> Marrakech:
After a short tour in the Dades gorges, we drive to Ouarzazate, by the road of the thousand Kasbah through the valley of roses, Skoura Palm Groves and kasbahs, Ait ben Haddou Kasbahs and Ksars, After Lunch on the way we contunie to Marrakech via Tichka pass and Igloua valleys, arrive to your Hotel around 6-7pm. End of our services.
TREKKING EQUIPMENTS LIST (required)
- DURATION: .......................6 days / 5 nights.
- PERIOD:............................ All year
- GRADE:............................. Easy, family friendly.
- PICK UP DETAILS:.............Pick up at 8:00am (from your hotel in Marrakech / Agadir / Meeting point)
- DROP OFF DETAILS:.........7-8pm at the hotel (day 7)
- ACCOMMODATION:.........Camp & Desert Hotel .
- FOOD & DRINKS:...............Fresh Salade & Hot meals Moroccan tagines will be provided.
- English speaking local guide.
- Meals during the trek.
- Bottled water.
- Transfer from & to Marrakech with private car & safe driver.
- camels to carry your luggage (Backpack / duffel bags recommended, no suitcases, you could store it at our riad)
- 5 nights accommodation (a mix of camping & Berber house experience)
- Soft drinks.
- Equipment hire.
TREKKING EQUIPMENTS LIST (required)
- Good walking boots and socks
- Sleeping bag (3-4 season); plus thermal liner in winter
- Lightweight fleece and waterproof outers (summer)
- Layers, windproof jacket, hat, gloves (autumn-late spring)
- Thermal underwear (autumn through late spring)
- Walking stick (useful)
- Personal items e.g. towel, sunscreen, wipes, toilet tissues
- Small First Aid Kit including insect repellent, plasters, meds
- Small rubbish bag to carry out what you carry in.
- lighter e.g. burn toilet paper
- Day sack/backpack
- Water bottle or camel back (recommended)
- Torch/Flashlight and spare batteries e.g. head torch
- Penknife (useful)
- Trail snacks
- Zip-Up bags for camera etc.